Gas Safety


What To Do If You Smell Natural Gas

If you smell natural gas and suspect a small natural gas leak in your home, take the following steps:

1.Open all doors and windows.
2.Shut off your natural gas supply, if possible.
3.Call Glenwood Energy at (513)523-5050.

If the odor is strong and you think you may have a large natural gas leak, follow these instructions:

1.Have everyone leave your home immediately.
2.Do not operate light switches, your telephone, or any electric appliances.
3.Do not connect or disconnect any power plugs from electric outlets.
4.Do not light a match or lighter.
5.From a neighbor's phone, call Glenwood Energy at (513)523-5050.
Glenwood Energy technicians are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays.


Call Before You Dig

Call 1-800-362-2764 or 8-1-1 before you dig: It’s the law!

By law, everyone MUST contact the Ohio Utilities Protection Service, 1-800-362-2764 or 8-1-1, at least 48 hours but no more than 10 working days (excluding weekends and legal holidays) before beginning ANY digging project.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide
Unvented kerosene and gas space heaters; leaking chimneys and furnaces; back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces; gas stoves; generators and other gasoline powered equipment; automobile exhaust from attached garages; and tobacco smoke.  Incomplete oxidation during combustion in gas ranges and unvented gas or kerosene heaters may cause high concentrations of CO in indoor air.  Worn or poorly adjusted and maintained combustion devices (e.g., boilers, furnaces) can be significant sources, or if the flue is improperly sized, blocked, disconnected, or is leaking.  Auto, truck, or bus exhaust from attached garages, nearby roads, or parking areas can also be a source.

Steps to Reduce Exposure to Carbon Monoxide
It is most important to be sure combustion equipment is maintained and properly adjusted.  Vehicular use should be carefully managed adjacent to buildings and in vocational programs.  Additional ventilation can be used as a temporary measure when high levels of CO are expected for short periods of time.
Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.
Consider purchasing a vented space heater when replacing an unvented one.
Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters.
Install and use an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
Choose properly sized wood stoves that are certified to meet EPA emission standards. Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.
Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating system (furnaces, flues, and chimneys) annually. Repair any leaks promptly.
Do not idle the car inside garage.

If you think you may have a carbon monoxide leak, leave your house immediately and call us at (513)523-5050 or call 911.

More information on Carbon Monoxide may be found at:

Excess Flow Valves

  1. What is an excess flow valve?

An excess flow valve is a device that can be installed on your natural gas service line to restrict the flow of gas if the line becomes damaged.  This reduces the risk of property damage and/or injury.

2. Who will install the excess flow valve?

Glenwood Energy will install the excess flow valve.

3. Why do I have to pay for something that will make my gas service safer?

This is not mandatory on existing service lines, but you have the right to request an EFV.  This protection device is in addition to the “CALL 811 Before You Dig” initiative.  Before any digging or excavation, remember to always call 811 to avoid damaging your gas service line.

4. How long will I be without gas?Do I have to be home during the installation

Installation will take approximately 3-4 hours.  You do not have to be home at the time of installation, but after the installation is completed we will need access so that one of our technicians can relight the appliances.  If you’re not home, we will leave a notice on your door to contact us.


5. Where does the excess flow valve go?

The excess flow valve is installed on the service line as close to the main as feasible.

6. How do I know if an excess flow valve can be installed at my home or business?

Glenwood Energy will evaluate your property upon request.

7. Does my home or business already have an excess flow valve installed?

Please contact Glenwood Energy for this information

8. Does an excess flow valve protect against all type of leaks?

No.  An EFV will only restrict gas flow when a major leak occurs outside of the home.  The valve will not detect or prevent leaks that are inside the house or small leaks on the outside service line.

9. If I have pool heater/generator, can I still request an excess flow valve?

Pool heaters and generators can require an excessive load.  Glenwood Energy would have to assess the property to determine if an excess flow valve can be installed.

10. How long will it take to have my excess flow valve installed once my payment is accepted?

Once Glenwood Energy has received your payment, we will contact you and set up a schedule to perform the installation.  This will be based on current work load.

11. Is there a deadline to request an EFV?

No.  The installation request of an excess flow valve can be made at any time.

12. How much will it cost to have an excess flow valve installed?

The cost of installation is $1,200.  If at any time after the installation the excess flow valve needs to be replaced, Glenwood Energy will replace the valve at no cost.

Contact Us

Call: (513) 523-2555

Fax:   (513) 524-3409


5181 College Corner Pike

Oxford, OH 45056

Important Forms

Other Helpful Links

Click on the Frequently Asked Questions link for more information.


Glenwood Energy is committed to providing access to important information via technology, including our web pages, for individuals with disabilities in accordance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. Section 508 requires us to ensure that individuals with disabilities seeking information or services from us, have access to and use of information and data that is comparable to the access and use by individuals without disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed on us. If you have a disability and the format of any material on our web pages interferes with your ability to access the information, please contact us at 513-523-2555 or  In order to help us respond in a manner most helpful to you, please indicate the nature of the accessibility problem, and the web address of the requested material so we can work together to ensure the information can be provided.